Friday, January 23, 2009

Curried Black Beans and Rice!




One of our "comfort foods", "frugal recipes", and "Oh crap I've been sitting on the computer all day, the house is a mess, there is no food on the table and my hubby is going to be home any minute" meal is called Curried Black Beans and Rice. I was NEVER a beans and rice fan until I found this recipe and randomly made it one day when we had nothing else in our kitchen to make and now we make it at least 2 or 3 times a month! The thing I LOVE about this recipe is that it is very quick to make (15-20 minutes), it is also very versatile, if you don't have ground sausage you can use ground turkey, ground beef, chicken chunks, sliced sausage links or no meat at all and it would still be good!

This recipe is also a pretty "frugal recipe" to make; it is the classic beans and rice recipe and although I used canned beans out of convenience, you could easily soak some beans and still get the same effect making the meal even cheaper. So here goes:

Curried Black Beans and Rice
1 T. Oil
1 sm. onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. Curry powder (more or less depending on your preference, I usually end up putting in about 2 Tbsp, I love the curry flavor!)
1 lb ground sausage (we like using a spicy sausage but you can easily substitute beef, chicken, or turkey)
3/4 cup chicken broth (or 2-3 boullion cubes crushed in hot water)
2 (16 oz.) cans black beans drained
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups uncooked Rice

Rinse your rice and cook as directed in your rice cooker or pot, however you prefer. While your rice is cooking, saute onion in oil with the curry powder. Add sausage. Cook about 5 minutes. Add broth and beans. Cook 4-5 minutes longer. Serve over rice and enjoy!

Cost Analysis:
Rice: about $.50
Black Beans: about $1.20
small onion: $.30
Sausage: $2.75
Chicken broth: $.30
Final Price: $5.05

Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Serves: 4-6 people

To see other Frugal Recipes including Homemade Tortillas you can go HERE!

Does anyone else have any great comfort foods or frugal recipes that they would be willing to share? I would love to hear some new ideas!

2 comments:

Whitney said...

I'm definitely going to have to try this. I'm pretty sure I have everything here for it. Thanks for sharing!

jenna said...

hmmm curried black beans, that sounds good. might try that, thx for idea. saw you on lifeasmom's recipe swap.